Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Oops...so sorry for the long delay

So, man oh man it has been a long time since I have been on here and I have SOOOO much to write about. I apologize that it has been about a month, but wow o wow I have been busy. The last time that I wrote was around the time that we had a break from school for a snow day.
We had another snow day a day or two later as it snowed like cats and dogs. This snow day resulted in no school for the local technical institute, the local university and all the public/private schools also. During this snow day I did laundry and then had an awesome time sledding. With a few baseball guys and a couple chicas we went out to the baseball fields and went sledding behind a pick-up. We first had to jump the curb and make it through the snow and not get stuck. The parking lot was covered in ice and then topped off with snow. It was a blast going around on some blow up tubes and a little saucer like tube. This day was amazing and later would be very, very interesting .
At the end of this particular day I could not find my wallet. I would be going back to Aberdeen the following day and needed to find my wallet. Now I do not know why, but I had it in my pants pocket and it was now nowhere to be found. Not in my car, not in any clothes, not anywhere around. So my roommate and I decided to go on an adventure and to check out the parking lot again. It was pitch black out and there were just one or two lights in the parking lot which ceased to be snow-covered. With my little neon we had to jump a curve and keep that little javie trucking because it would have gotten stuck if we didn’t floor it. We searched and searched, I had my brights on and everything and out of the blue I was walking around in a circle with the flashlight from my phone and something caught my eye. Near a spot that I fell out of the sled is where I spotted my WALLET. Success. My roommate and I are now going to be detectives, because we are so good.
The middle school experience was great. I learned so much from my teacher and from each of my students. There were students that pushed my buttons, but with determination and perseverance I pushed through it and made it a success. I composed two projects for the students: food diary and a food skit in place of a written exam.  The food diary was not an ICU assignment, but when the grades were entered students completed this assignment because it was affecting their grade. The final assignment that I did with the students was a food skit/fiesta day.
This project was in place of the written end of the chapter exam and excited the students.  I arranged groups of students and made it available to all students even those on IEPs. There was sufficient work time allowed at the end of two class periods and then they were to present the assignment in front of class on our fiesta day. The schedule consisted of the students following commands and practicing Spanish by making the food for our fiesta: salsa, refrescos, quesadillas, setting the table, and creating a chant to do at the end of each presentation. Students were divided up into even groups and completed each task.
Following the stations students were given a final 5 minutes to work with their group members to finalize anything for their skits. After the 5 minutes students presented to the class each skit and we would next move onto the fiesta part of our class. The students were given instructions at each stage throughout the day and there were no disruptions in the two days. The final thing that I did with each class was teach them a dance that I learned while studying abroad. This dance was enjoyed by each student even if they didn’t seem to be having fun. It was so encouraging to see a lesson work perfectly and not a thing went wrong with 160+ students. I had 4 that did not complete the project on the due date (2 were absent) and one group was not ready, but everyone else did it. I even had two groups record their skits and they were quite comical.
So all in all I had a very successful time at the middle school and have just started at the high school. Here we go!
Improvements:

Breaking the plane
Knowledge of Spanish Content

Chau Chau
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment